So here’s my top 5 list of why you should get to know your neighbors:
- You can borrow stuff. You never know when you might need to borrow some sugar, eggs, or some spice that expired 8 years ago and you are 30 minutes and a shower away from having your in-laws over for a gourmet dinner. Whoopsy!
- You can keep each other in-the-know. Has there been a creepy van cruising the streets? Your neighbor might know. Will the Girl Scouts be out in full-force this weekend selling cookies? Your neighbor might know that too. So the Hunks Hauling Junk truck is at Tammy’s house every Thursday…but she got rid of all her junk last spring at the garage sale? Ohhhh….now you are in the know.
- They can give you recommendations. Need a painter, a landscaper, a plumber or an electrician? Your neighbor is probably dealing with the same home-stuff you are so they might know a great contractor. You might even be able to make a deal if you both need work done.
- They can keep an eye on your house when you are away. Working long hours or going on vacation or away with business? Hopefully they will keep a watchful eye on your place. Parents of teens, listen up! When you go out of town for the night and your teen decides to have a couple friends over and suddenly the whole high school shows up, you really want to know your neighbor and that they are willing to speed dial 911!
- They will help you in time of need. If you are sick or just had a baby, they might make you a meal. They may pitch in with your little ones and babysit in a pinch. Did someone leave the gate open and Rover ran away? Your neighbor may help you find your furry friend. Need help shoveling snow, mowing or jump starting your car….you better get to know your neighbors fast! Just make sure you are a good neighbor and reciprocate when they come knocking on your door!
It’s common sense that communities are healthier and crime is reduced when people feel connected and know each other by name! So if you are one of the 75 percent of Americans who don’t know their neighbors according to a State Farm study, I challenge you to stop ducking behind the bushes when you walk your dog to avoid people, or looking the other way when you drive by so you don’t have to wave. All you have to do is walk outside your door, extend your right hand, look your neighbor in the eye and shake their hand and say “It’s sooooo nice to meet you!” It’s that easy to make it a beautiful day in your neighborhood and make Mr. Rodgers proud!
Do you already know your neighbors and think they are great? If so, show your appreciation with a custom address stamp from Hello World Paper Co.! It’s a thoughtful, personalized, little gift that shows you care. BTW….do you have your own custom address stamp? You should!